A List of “Men’s Rights” Issues That Feminism Is Already Working On
Feminists do not want you to lose custody of your children. The assumption that women are naturally better caregivers is part of patriarchy.
Feminists do not like commercials in which bumbling dads mess up the laundry and competent wives have to bustle in and fix it. The assumption that women are naturally better housekeepers is part of patriarchy.
Feminists do not want you to have to make alimony payments. Alimony is set up to combat the fact that women have been historically expected to prioritize domestic duties over professional goals, thus minimizing their earning potential if their “traditional” marriages end. The assumption that wives should make babies instead of money is part of patriarchy.
Feminists do not want anyone to get raped in prison. Permissiveness and jokes about prison rape are part of rape culture, which is part of patriarchy.
Feminists do not want anyone to be falsely accused of rape. False rape accusations discredit rape victims, which reinforces rape culture, which is part of patriarchy.
Feminists do not want you to be lonely and we do not hate “nice guys.” The idea that certain people are inherently more valuable than other people because of superficial physical attributes is part of patriarchy.
Feminists do not want you to have to pay for dinner. We want the opportunity to achieve financial success on par with men in any field we choose (and are qualified for), and the fact that we currently don’t is part of patriarchy. The idea that men should coddle and provide for women, and/or purchase their affections in romantic contexts, is condescending and damaging and part of patriarchy.
Feminists do not want you to be maimed or killed in industrial accidents, or toil in coal mines while we do cushy secretarial work and various yarn-themed activities. The fact that women have long been shut out of dangerous industrial jobs (by men, by the way) is part of patriarchy.
Feminists do not want you to commit suicide. Any pressures and expectations that lower the quality of life of either gender are part of patriarchy. The fact that depression is characterized as an effeminate weakness, making men less likely to seek treatment, is part of patriarchy.
Feminists do not want you to be viewed with suspicion when you take your child to the park (men frequently insist that this is a serious issue, so I will take them at their word). The assumption that men are insatiable sexual animals, combined with the idea that it’s unnatural for men to care for children, is part of patriarchy.
Feminists do not want you to be drafted and then die in a war while we stay home and iron stuff. The idea that women are too weak to fight or too delicate to function in a military setting is part of patriarchy.
Feminists do not want women to escape prosecution on legitimate domestic violence charges, nor do we want men to be ridiculed for being raped or abused. The idea that women are naturally gentle and compliant and that victimhood is inherently feminine is part of patriarchy.
Feminists hate patriarchy. We do not hate you.
If you really care about those issues as passionately as you say you do, you should be thanking feminists, because feminism is a social movement actively dedicated to dismantling every single one of them. The fact that you blame feminists—your allies—for problems against which they have been struggling for decades suggests that supporting men isn’t nearly as important to you as resenting women. We care about your problems a lot. Could you try caring about ours?
- swallowtheflamedown likes this
- katyjane91 likes this
- thistootoosolidflesh reblogged this from thedarksideofthesoul
- thedarksideofthesoul likes this
- thedarksideofthesoul reblogged this from stardusteskalith
- stardusteskalith reblogged this from pretendingtocare
- pretendingtocare reblogged this from macaronsandfries
- great-strangedream likes this
- desperately-seeking-superman reblogged this from helplesslyselfish
- bappletree likes this
- myfrivolouswisdom reblogged this from icomeanon4
- icomeanon4 reblogged this from helplesslyselfish
- helplesslyselfish reblogged this from sadskier
- helplesslyselfish likes this
- sadskier reblogged this from macaronsandfries
- sadskier likes this
- anotheralexandros likes this
- macaronsandfries reblogged this from temporallyexcogitated
- temporallyexcogitated reblogged this from winneganfake
- tobeamodernman reblogged this from underthenet
- emotionalorphan likes this
- queensofchaos reblogged this from damselindetech
- wolfsbanesego reblogged this from lemmefeedyoualeaf
- spiderbee likes this
- kiaramarieellie likes this
- snowinthemoonlight likes this
- maxbroforce reblogged this from goddamnyourebeautiful
- silver-bells-and-cockle-shells reblogged this from hopejackalope
- creadaeth likes this
- sircaptainolive likes this
- eke-eke reblogged this from brightberry
- nyro likes this
- beautifulyconvicted reblogged this from collapsingrelapsing
- beautifulyconvicted likes this
- stephanie-is-pretty likes this
- collapsingrelapsing reblogged this from islappadahbass
- collapsingrelapsing likes this
- getsmejuiced reblogged this from elizabethclaret
- islappadahbass reblogged this from boner-hurts
- boner-hurts reblogged this from kel-s-d
- annaplease likes this
- oh-the-glory likes this
- kel-s-d reblogged this from weedandpatchouli
- danniellelevan reblogged this from elizabethclaret
- danniellelevan likes this
- weedandpatchouli reblogged this from perfectlycromulentblog
- apocalopticon reblogged this from ashleyanninstonerland
- feligrrrosa likes this
- ashleyanninstonerland reblogged this from sextoyconfessions