A List of “Men’s Rights” Issues That Feminism Is Already Working On
Feminists do not want you to lose custody of your children. The assumption that women are naturally better caregivers is part of patriarchy.
Feminists do not like commercials in which bumbling dads mess up the laundry and competent wives have to bustle in and fix it. The assumption that women are naturally better housekeepers is part of patriarchy.
Feminists do not want you to have to make alimony payments. Alimony is set up to combat the fact that women have been historically expected to prioritize domestic duties over professional goals, thus minimizing their earning potential if their “traditional” marriages end. The assumption that wives should make babies instead of money is part of patriarchy.
Feminists do not want anyone to get raped in prison. Permissiveness and jokes about prison rape are part of rape culture, which is part of patriarchy.
Feminists do not want anyone to be falsely accused of rape. False rape accusations discredit rape victims, which reinforces rape culture, which is part of patriarchy.
Feminists do not want you to be lonely and we do not hate “nice guys.” The idea that certain people are inherently more valuable than other people because of superficial physical attributes is part of patriarchy.
Feminists do not want you to have to pay for dinner. We want the opportunity to achieve financial success on par with men in any field we choose (and are qualified for), and the fact that we currently don’t is part of patriarchy. The idea that men should coddle and provide for women, and/or purchase their affections in romantic contexts, is condescending and damaging and part of patriarchy.
Feminists do not want you to be maimed or killed in industrial accidents, or toil in coal mines while we do cushy secretarial work and various yarn-themed activities. The fact that women have long been shut out of dangerous industrial jobs (by men, by the way) is part of patriarchy.
Feminists do not want you to commit suicide. Any pressures and expectations that lower the quality of life of either gender are part of patriarchy. The fact that depression is characterized as an effeminate weakness, making men less likely to seek treatment, is part of patriarchy.
Feminists do not want you to be viewed with suspicion when you take your child to the park (men frequently insist that this is a serious issue, so I will take them at their word). The assumption that men are insatiable sexual animals, combined with the idea that it’s unnatural for men to care for children, is part of patriarchy.
Feminists do not want you to be drafted and then die in a war while we stay home and iron stuff. The idea that women are too weak to fight or too delicate to function in a military setting is part of patriarchy.
Feminists do not want women to escape prosecution on legitimate domestic violence charges, nor do we want men to be ridiculed for being raped or abused. The idea that women are naturally gentle and compliant and that victimhood is inherently feminine is part of patriarchy.
Feminists hate patriarchy. We do not hate you.
If you really care about those issues as passionately as you say you do, you should be thanking feminists, because feminism is a social movement actively dedicated to dismantling every single one of them. The fact that you blame feminists—your allies—for problems against which they have been struggling for decades suggests that supporting men isn’t nearly as important to you as resenting women. We care about your problems a lot. Could you try caring about ours?
- cumberbauchery likes this
- therewere13possibilities reblogged this from farraginous-feminist
- knottedpandas reblogged this from 300poundsofmetal
- theoriginalslurmsmckenzie reblogged this from weloveradfems
- shadowofthevoid reblogged this from doctorwhorants
- shadowofthevoid likes this
- writeslikemad reblogged this from stfuconservatives
- i-am-jacks-url reblogged this from ahrhi
- ahrhi reblogged this from commanderrogerssteve
- itshummingyay reblogged this from doctorwhorants
- below-the-depths-and-out-of-time reblogged this from shewearsthetrousers
- black-black-burst likes this
- 2boldlyqueer reblogged this from harmonious-dissonance
- wefightbettertogether likes this
- arauve reblogged this from 3liza
- rihneves likes this
- hhiley reblogged this from monicasgeller
- ginevrs likes this
- clairholts likes this
- popcultral reblogged this from monicasgeller
- monicasgeller reblogged this from auntiewitch
- michindol likes this
- godisfuckingwithme reblogged this from damselindetech
- godisfuckingwithme likes this
- nomette likes this
- cleverlittleminx reblogged this from nechayano
- lebrainboy reblogged this from notaprincessdestinedtobeawitch
- carelesswisdom reblogged this from notsosecretadmirer
- questionswiththecaptain reblogged this from doctorwhorants
- plottwist-in-a-trenchcoat reblogged this from magicshowsandmiracles
- plottwist-in-a-trenchcoat likes this
- kikachumartini likes this
- bleubirb reblogged this from magicshowsandmiracles
- heapheaphurray reblogged this from shinka
- magicshowsandmiracles reblogged this from notsosecretadmirer
- magicshowsandmiracles likes this
- thisismymoon reblogged this from notsosecretadmirer
- thisismymoon likes this
- lisasunny likes this
- notsosecretadmirer reblogged this from gwenmstacey
- shunqi-ziran likes this
- sapheire reblogged this from wildebears
- it-mightgetloud reblogged this from comealongpie
- iamtheproblem reblogged this from mensesrightsactivist
- wunder-blunder likes this
- choctawsbs likes this
- eveningoutwithyourgirlfr13nd likes this
- curlyhairedblackgirl reblogged this from notaprincessdestinedtobeawitch